AVOID INTIMATE PARTNERSHIPS WITH UNBELIEVERS THAT WOULD HINDER YOU FROM GROWING CLOSER TO YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER AND MANIFESTING YOUR CHRISTIAN DISTINCTIVENESS
CALL TO CHRISTIAN SEPARATION AND HOLINESS
I. (:14-16a) SEPARATION IS A NO-BRAINER
Separation = Avoiding Intimate Partnerships with Unbelievers
Psalm 1 – “How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked …”
A. (:14a) One Clear Command – “Do not be bound together with unbelievers”
Key = When does it apply
Marriage / Business / Church / Degree of Friendship
B. (:14b-16a) Five Clearcut Distinctions (5 different Greek words used in rhetorical questions)
1. Orientation towards Obedience: Partnership / Righteousness vs Lawlessness
Gromacki: These patterns of behavior are mutually incompatible.
2. Orientation towards Character: Fellowship / Light vs Darkness
Gromacki: These cannot coexist.
3. Orientation towards the Savior Himself: Harmony / Christ vs Belial
4. Orientation towards Faith: In common / Believer vs Unbeliever
5. Orientation towards Worship: Agreement / Temple of God vs Idols
II. (:16b-18) CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS
Separation = Essential for Intimate Fellowship with our Heavenly Father
Psalm 15 – “O Lord, who may abide in Thy tent?”
A. (:16b) Remember Our Sacred Identity and Privileged Calling
“For we are the temple of the living God”
B. (:16c, 17b-18) Remember God’s Precious Promises to His People
“just as God said, ‘I will dwell in them and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.’”
“’And I will welcome you. And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,’ says the Lord Almighty.”
C. (:17a) Obey God’s Clear Command
“’Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,’ says the Lord. ‘And do not touch what is unclean;”
III. (7:1) HOLINESS IS NOT OUTDATED
Purpose of Separation = Maturing in Holiness in the Fear of the Lord
Psalm 93:5 – “Thy testimonies are fully confirmed; Holiness befits Thy house, O Lord, forevermore.”
A. Standing on the Promises
“Therefore, having these promises, beloved”
B. Separating from All Defilement
“let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit”
C. Sanctifying Ourselves for Intimacy with God
“perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Remember how Christ fulfilled all righteousness and avoided lawlessness while still being willing to rub shoulders with sinners.
2) Proclaim Christ as the Light of the world – shining in the darkness of this world.
3) Proclaim how God became incarnate in the person of Christ in order to walk among men and be their mediator so He could truly be their God.
4) Proclaim the privilege of being brought into God’s family as a son or daughter.